Npgsql 4.1 Release Notes
Npgsql 4.1 is out and available at nuget.org.
The major new features of 4.1 are:
- Support for reading and writing your types as JSON via the new, high-perf System.Text.Json API (#2306).
- Support for the new async methods introduced in .NET Standard 2.1 (#2481).
- Expose performance statistics via the new .NET event counters (#1725).
- Async support for binary imports and exports (#1632).
- Easier and PostgreSQL standard ways to provide client certificates for authentication (#2129).
Many other small improvements and performance optimizations have been introduced as well - you can track progress here.
Breaking changes from 4.0
- .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are no longer supported. .NET Framework 4.6.1 and .NET Standard 2.0 are the lowest supported versions.
- The spatial plugin, Npgsql.NetTopologySuite, has been updated to depend on NetTopologySuite 2.0.0, which is a major version introducing breaking changes. Specifically, EF Core 3.0 is the first version supporting NetTopologySuite 2.0.0; it is not possible to use EF Core 2.x with the new version of Npgsql.NetTopologySuite.
UseSslStream property of
NpgsqlConnectionStringBuilder is now marked as
SslStream is always used.
- A fix was done to Npgsql's snake case naming converter (#2152); this could break code that relies on the previous conversion logic.
Thank you very much to the following people who have contributed to the individual 4.1.x. releases.